International Men's Day 2023Sunday, November 19
International Men's Day is an event celebrated on 19 November every year since 1999. The main objectives of the event are promotion of the men's and boys' health and safety, tackling our tolerance of violence against men and boys, promoting gender equality and highlighting positive male role models. It is also a chance to appreciate men's achievements and contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care. It can be seen as a counterpart of International Women's Day celebrated on 8 March.
International Men's Day (IMD) was inaugurated in 1999 in Trinidad and Tobago. Since then it became more and more popular with over 60 countries celebrating it, including including Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Australia, India, China, United States, Romania, Singapore, Malta, United Kingdom, South Africa, Hungary, Ireland, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Ukraine, France, Italy, Pakistan, Cuba.
Apart from the main celebration objectives secondary themes are suggested for particular years. The themes can serve as an impuls to highlight and discuss important issues concerning boys and men. Some of the recent ones are:
- 2011 — "Giving Boys The Best Possible Start In Life";
- 2012 — "Helping Men and Boys Live longer, Happier and Healthier Lives";
- 2013 — "Keeping Men and Boys safe".
- 2014 — "Working Together For Men and Boys"".
- 2015 — "Working To Expand Reproductive Options for Men".
- 2016 — "Make a Difference for Men and Boys".